Following our trip to the dentist today I took the kids to play at McDonalds. Or, "Donalds" as the children know it. I just have to write that I am amazed at little children and how they learn to socialize. After Brian and Samantha ate their hamburger and chicken, respectively, and their apples, they ran off to play. Brian made some friends and had such a great time. I am probably over emotional right now, but my eyes were all watery as I watched him play and laugh and then come run to me and say "So fun, Mom!", give me a High 5, and run back to play more. There were a lot of big kids around so Samantha stayed back just a tad this time.
When Todd and I took them to the Mall yesterday they also made some friends. A little boy started following Brian around and they ended up playing together for a while, chasing one another and hiding in the tunnels from other kids. At one point they stood up and were giving each other the good job signs. Brian stood back in a Fonzie stance (oh my, am I dating myself by referencing the Fonz?) and gave two exuberant thumbs up. The other boy did some kind of gang sign, Todd thought. Actually it was the I Love You in sign language, but Todd made me laugh so I left it at that.
It is neat to watch children explore their independence and it is tender to me to see them look back every so often to make sure their parents are still there, and to receive that smile of approval for their tricks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment