Friday, May 30, 2008

NO URINAR

I did it. I actually did it. The forces of nature have broken my will and I did it. I showed my son how he can pee in a bush.

We have lived through nearly a week accident-free (including night-time) with the exception of when Brian is playing outside. It seems it is much more fun to stay outside playing, albeit in wet pants, than it is to break up his game to come inside and use the toilet.

So the day before yesterday when I noticed his little accident as he came inside, I told him, "Brian, if you can't make it to the toilet when you are outside in our yard, you can wet by the tree." He didn't seem to take note, and we put on dry clothes.

Yesterday we were outside playing together and Brian said "Can I please wet by tree?" So I took him to the most discreet place and there you have it. He commented "Going far" as he admired the distance he made. I had to chuckle under my breath.

I am justifying this by two memories I have. One: in Ecuador I often saw on the walls surrounding property big painted words "NO URINAR" and was fascinated that men (at least I hope it is limited to the men) did that enough that property owners had to paint the sign not to do it. Two: while in Europe with my friend Stefani there were also similar signs. So the Europeans as well as the South Americans do that... and I'm guessing that all around the world boys of all ages have found creative ways to relieve themselves when nature calls. Note: I could recount a few experiences of deer hunting with my dad, uncle and brothers, but will not at this time.

Now my son joins the throngs of men in their great ability to "URINAR" as - I suppose - nature intended.

No comments: