After months and months of trying to get through the insurance tape and into a real live Pediatric Dental Office, today was the day.
I had taken the kids to the dentist several months ago, and she, the one our insurance company referred us to, said, "Now why aren't you going to a Pediatric Dentist?" I answered, "I thought that was what you are..." Apparently the insurance company didn't get the request right, so la-dee-dah, finally we made it to see Doctora Ida Noremembera de Name-o.
The office was small, but painted in huge colorful dinosaurs. Brian loved that. There was a boy, about 10, who entertained Brian with his fancy finger-skate boarding tricks. He tried to explain to me too how great he was at all these tricks, and it was hard to give him my attention as well as manage my two little ones in the small space. I had books to read to them, but Skate-Boredom Boy was not making it very easy for me to do that.
I completed the paperwork and eventually we made it to the back. It was seriously craziness. Five or six of those lovely recliners all fit into the space of, say, my kitchen. I could barely fit between two of them to make it to a small chair (those fun spin around kind) tucked behind a dental chair. Brian was terrified from the get-go. He had three or four women hovering waiting to see if he would cooperate, and bless him, he was really scared. I held him close while trying to hang on to Samantha too making our way to our places. She, on the other hand, climbed right up into the dental chair and started looking around, smiling, opening her mouth (we practiced and played "dentist" quite a bit at home) and cracking everyone up. Her open mouth looked like an old lady void of her dentures. She tucks her lips tightly around her little teeth and makes a perfect "O" with her lips. So funny.
Brian cried and struggled as the dentist (who was really great, I thought) to clean his teeth and check for cavities. I held his arms down and kissed his little hands while the dentist held his head and quickly did her work. We both were talking soothingly to him, and when it was all over, he really -I thought - did okay, considering it was his first time and he must have been so very scared. I figure a lot of adults are terrified of the dentist knowing what is happening, and here little Brian had no clue about these people or their instruments, and it wasn't quite the same as playing dentist with mom brushing and tapping on his teeth. He did actually say "Thanks" to the dentist and ended up giving her a big hug. He received a room-full of "Ahhh"s from the ladies.
When his turn ended, he had a great report: his teeth are fine and strong and no cavities. That sweet little guy kept asking all of us, "Brian done now? I'm done?" We said yes and he stood close to me. I told him it was Samantha's turn now. She was all up for it and we put her on my lap the same way we did Brian, tilted her back and she opened wide for the dentist. There were a few times when her mouth was pulled more than she liked and she would fuss a bit. Brian would lean to her and pat her and say "It's okay, Samanta, It's okay." During her check up he frequently said to me, "I'm sorry Mommy, hard time." He told the ladies working there too "I'm sorry. Thanks." It was the sweetest thing, I was so proud of him. Samantha made it through without too much problem, and wouldn't let her new toothbrush go - she was still brushing as we made our way out the door. Her teeth are also in great shape. No cavities either.
Before we left they let the kids choose a toy and a sticker. That made them happy and while they survived their first trip to the dentist, when I asked if they wanted to go again in six months they both said a quick No. Brian added "too scaredy."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment