
It is official, the children miss their Dad. Samantha woke up this morning calling for "Daddy" and when we came home from our afternoon outing Brian asked if Daddy was home so they could play and swing.
I started my spring cleaning this week, and in 5 days have only the Master Bedroom and Bath complete. Not quite the progress I was hoping to make, but given the many, many - did I say MANY interruptions I'm pleased to have accomplished this much. I love to have every nook and cranny (what is a cranny, anyway? I just know my mom and grandma taught me to clean them) cleaned and sparkling. The immediate challenges are these: Maintaining the state of cleanliness for longer than 2 hours, when the little chillin's usually have fingerprints left behind, toys scattered and dirt back on the floors; and Keeping the rest of the house clean while trying to focus so diligently on my task at hand. I remember a woman from church over a year ago telling me that with her 4 boys she had, each a year apart, she learned quickly that the house needed to be last on the list of to-do's, for if she tried to keep a clean house, nothing else was ever accomplished. I try to remember that, other than the fact that the dirt builds up so quickly in my all-tile house and the little ones are often playing with their faces near the floor and I can't stand to think of them playing in filth! Balance, grasshopper!
Brian and Samantha today spent some time on Mom and Dad's bed while I was cleaning the bathroom. They were playing some rendition of Duck, Duck, Goose. I heard the Duck Duck part, and then there was a lot of quacking and laughing. I love how they play together, and - for the most part - injury-free. On occasion Brian will take on the persona of a "Tiger-shark" and bite her clothes, or get upset when she has a toy he wants and give her a little push or smack. He is punished accordingly and almost always ends up giving her hugs with a big "I'm sorry."
She isn't as tough as she used to be, but rather cries out and calls for Mommy wanted to be held for a while. I wish I could always indulge, yet I have a feeling that this is just the begin of a life full of big-brother teasing, so I try to help her deal with it without needing coddling from a parent.
At bedtime I let the children select three or four books to read, and their latest favorite is a book given to them by Grandmother Chelius last Easter. The Tale of Peter Rabbit. I'm amazed that they sit still looking at one illustration while I read so many words, but they do and are enthralled. When Brian went to get his choice of books he asked me "Can I read Grandmother's rabbit book with MacGregrrr?" I think Mr. MacGregor is his favorite character in the book. They also enjoy "Digger Man" - a darling book sent to us by Aunt Emily (Kevin's Emily). And other one of their recent favorites is a book Grandma Tanner gave them during her visit here last month, about little feet and they fun textures little feet like to feel. Brian and Samantha put their bare feet up to the pages to feel the grass, towels, leaves, sand, blankets, and so forth, and just giggle themselves into a fit.
Tonight they both echoed me in prayer and it is the most precious thing I've ever heard. Those little voices sensing reverence and speaking in a different tone. I'm not sure how much they understand, while I try to explain to them about our Father in Heaven and how he helps us and loves us. It is really neat, however, to see them fold their arms and try to close their little eyes and kneel down as a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment